I’ve Fallen, and I Can’t Get Up! Slip, Trip & Fall Prevention
Slip, Trip & Fall Prevention Tips
Slip, trip and fall prevention helps you stay safe at home and on-the-job. Avoid injury by following these safety precautions from the ABR Employment Services Safety Team.
Slips can be caused by wet surfaces, spills, or weather hazards like ice or snow. Slips are more likely to occur when you hurry or run, wear the wrong kind of shoes, or don’t pay attention to where you’re walking.
To avoid slips:
• Practice safe walking skills. Take short steps on slippery surfaces to keep your center of balance under you, and point your feet slightly outward.
• Clean up or report spills right away. Even minor spills can be very dangerous.
• Don’t let grease accumulate at your work place.
• Be extra cautious on smooth surfaces such as newly waxed floors. Also be careful walking on loose carpeting.
Trips occur whenever your foot hits an object and you are moving with enough momentum to be thrown off balance.
You can help avoid trips when you:
• Make sure you can see where you are walking. Don’t carry loads that you cannot see over.
• Keep walking and working areas well lit, especially at night.
• Keep the workplace clean and tidy. Store materials and supplies in the appropriate storage areas.
• Arrange furniture and office equipment so that it doesn’t interfere with walkways or pedestrian traffic in your area.
• Properly maintain walking areas, and alert appropriate authorities regarding potential maintenance related hazards.
To avoid falls consider the following measures:
• Don’t jump off landings or loading docks. Use the stairs.
• Repair or replace stairs or handrails that are loose or broken.
• Keep passageways and aisles clear of clutter and well lit.
• Wear shoes with appropriate non-slip soles.
Promptly Report Workplace Slips, Trips or Falls
If you experience an injury while on-the-job resulting from a slip, trip or fall, immediately report it to your supervisor and contact your local ABR Representative. Reporting it will help us help you!