What Do You Know About Our Company? How to Answer
What do you know about our company?
47% of people that interview for a job have little or no knowledge of the company they are interviewing with. It’s not the interviewers job to educate you on the company – it’s yours.
Follow these three easy research tips to prepare a smart answer to the interview question “what do you know about our company” before your next job interview:
1) Visit the company website; look in the “about us” section and “careers” sections
2) Visit the company’s LinkedIn page (note, you must have a LinkedIn account — its free to sign up)
3) Google a keyword search phrase like “press releases” followed by the company name; you’ll find the most recent news stories shared by the company
Remember, just because you have done your “homework”, it does not mean you need to share ALL of it during the interview! Reciting every fact you’ve learned is almost as much of a turn off as not knowing anything at all! At a minimum, you should include the following in your answer:
1. What type of product or service the company sells
2. How long the company has been in business
3. What the company culture is like OR what the company mission statement is, and how the culture and/or mission relate to your values or personality
Follow these tips and the next time you are asked, “what do you know about our company” in an interview, you will impress the interviewer with your answer! If you’d like to see future blogs on career or job topics, comment below.
This blog was written by Joan Pajari, Senior Marketing Specialist at ABR Employment Services and Kinsa Group.