Office Job Interview Tips: How to Prepare
Occupational Outlook: Office Support Jobs
It goes without saying. Office support is key to the efficient operation of a department or company. Of the top 25 largest number of projected job openings in WI, Wisconsin WORKnet ranks office clerks number 6 on the list through the year 2024.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the median annual wage for office support personnel at $38,640 per year.
So how do you prepare for an office position interview? We’ve compiled a list of commonly asked questions to help you prepare.
The Office Job Interview: Common FAQ’s
- What interests you about working in an office position at this company?
- What kinds of office projects do you like to work on?
- What office projects are less interesting for you? How do you overcome your disinterest in order to do a good job?
- How would you rate your computer skills?
- Describe your experience with calendar management.
- What kinds of documents have you made from scratch using MS Office programs?
- What is your experience with data entry?
- How do you ensure accuracy in tasks such as processing expenses and preparing reports?
- If you support multiple people at one company, how do you decide which projects to work on first?
- Have you ever been on a team with a difficult coworker? How did you handle it?
- Describe a time you worked with a team to meet a common goal. What was your role?
- Describe a time you suggested a way to save time, lower costs, or increase revenue.
- What does “managing up” mean to you? In what ways have you done that?
- Some of this work can be repetitive. What motivates you to excel in this role?
ABR Employment Services: Your Employment Connection To The Future
When you work with us to find an office job, we’ll provide guidance and support to help you land a position where you want to work, learn and grow. And get promoted at work!
Search our open jobs on our website or on our branch Facebook for Business pages. If you have questions about anything, please don’t be shy! We want to hear from you; access our office contact information.
Editors note: the content of this blog was originally published in July, 2013 and has been updated.